1. Continued/Consistent Success – Mike Carey, in his 18th year as the WVU Women’s coach, has led his team to 10 NCAA appearances and 5 NITs. Carey has a 392-204 (66% winning percentage) record during his time with the team. This will also be WVU’s 13th straight postseason appearance.
2. They are playing short-handed – The Mountaineer Women’s team has played almost half the season with only 8 players. Kysre Gondrezick, a transfer guard from Michigan, only played in five games early in the season, but left the program for personal reasons in December. Senior guard Katrina Pardee sprained her ankle in January and only recently returned to the lineup. Lester Rowe, former WVU great and current assistant coach, tore his Achilles’ heel. “When we introduce the team, we have more people coming out in sweats then in uniform,” Carey said. “Then when I try to move around in front of the bench, you have all the girls with their crutches and now Lester bumps into you with his (knee) scooter, it’s tough just to find a place to walk.”
3. Tynice Martin and Naomi Davenport are quite the talented veteran duo – Martin, a 5’11 Junior guard, sat out last year with a foot injury, but has come back strong this year, averaging 17.4 points and 5.9 rebounds. Davenport, a 6’0 Senior forward, is averaging 13.7 points and leads the team with 8.1 rebounds and 1.7 steals per game.
Trending: Country Roads in Italy
4. They should be playing in the NCAA Tournament – Despite their 20-10 record and 11-7 mark in the Big 12, the Mountaineers were not in the 64-team field. The Big 12 was the third-rated conference in the country based on the Ratings Percentage Index, yet only four teams made it into the NCAA tourney. After the women’s bracket was revealed, Carey tweeted, “This is a joke.”
This is a joke….
— Mike Carey (@CoachMikeCarey) March 18, 2019
5. They have a real chance to win the WNIT – After beating Villanova 64-57, they will now move on to play Northwestern at in the next round of the WNIT. The game will take place Wednesday at 7PM at the Coliseum. Get out and support the Lady Mountaineers!
Become a Mountaineer Sports Insider
/ 2 weeks ago
With the shutdown of every sporting event in the country, West Virginia Mountaineers play...
/ 2 weeks ago
Neil Diamond, singer-songwriter and one of the best-selling musicians of all-time, is the creator...
/ 3 weeks ago
Jerry West is certainly the best player in West Virginia University basketball history and...